Beliefs & Values
The West of Scotland Gospel Partnership stands on the historically understood Evangelical Gospel. We believe that Gospel Unity can only be effective and meaningful when there is clear agreement on core truths, such as the Person and Work of Jesus Christ, the Grace of God in Salvation, and the inerrancy of Scripture.
We hope that all churches in the West of Scotland who share the beliefs below will become part of this Christ centred and Biblically based Partnership.
(1) What we Believe:
We believe in:
(A) The existence of one, eternal, immutable God, Sovereign, creator and Lord of the universe, who in the unity of the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit, both governs all things according to his will and is accomplishing his purposes in the world and in the Church.
(B) The Bible, as originally given, as the inspired, inerrant and infallible word of God. Christians must therefore submit to its supreme authority and sufficiency, both individually and corporately, in every matter of belief and conduct.
(C) The inherent value of all human beings, made by God in his own likeness, and their sinfulness and guilt since the Fall. This has rendered them subject to God’s wrath and condemnation, and has resulted in their alienation from his life, suppression of the truth, and hostility to his law.
(D) The Lord Jesus Christ, God’s incarnate Son, who is fully God. He was born of a virgin; his humanity is real and sinless; he died on the cross, was raised bodily from death and is now reigning over heaven and earth.
(E) Salvation from the guilt, penalty and all consequences of sin solely through the work of Jesus Christ – his perfect obedience, penal substitutionary death, bodily resurrection and exaltation as Lord. He alone is truly God and truly man, the only mediator between God and man. There is salvation through no other person, creed, process or power. The entirety of a sinner’s justification, from beginning to end, is only by his grace alone appropriated through faith alone.
(F) The necessity and sufficiency of the work of the Holy Spirit for the individual’s new birth and growth to maturity, and for the Church’s constant renewal in truth, wisdom, faith, holiness, love, power and mission.
(G) The universal church as the body of which Christ is the head and to which all who are saved belong. Its existence reveals God’s ultimate purpose to bring everything together under Christ. It is made visible in local congregations of believers, who are a holy people called to declare the praise of him who saved them, and to proclaim his gracious offer of salvation to those who are lost. The unity of the body of Christ is expressed within and between local churches by mutual love, care and encouragement. True fellowship between churches exists only where they are faithful to the apostolic gospel.
(H) The personal and visible return in glory of the Lord Jesus Christ to raise the dead and bring salvation and judgment to final completion. He will grant eternal life to those who have believed the gospel, and consign those who have not to everlasting punishment in hell. God will fully establish his kingdom when he creates a new heaven and new earth from which evil and evildoers, suffering and death will be excluded, and in which he will be glorified forever.
Our Gospel Values:
- We are a gospel partnership of churches, united in the communion of the one Spirit and committed to work, pray and support one another in the common mission of Christ to the people of the West of Scotland and beyond.
- We are a gospel partnership in that as members we confess the faith of Christ. It is a partnership in that as congregations we covenant together to support one another in remaining faithful, not denying our only Lord and Master Jesus Christ in our practice, but actively submitting to his word in Scripture as the supreme rule of faith and life for all, and calling others similarly to the obedience of faith.
- As a gospel partnership we gladly accept the Great Commission of the risen Lord to make disciples of all nations, to seek those who do not know Christ and to baptise, teach and bring new believers to maturity. We are mindful of our particular responsibility to the people of the West of Scotland, and are committed to seeing living churches planted, nurtured and matured through the proclamation of the gospel, and a new generation of evangelists, pastors and missionaries sent into the harvest field for the advance of the Kingdom of Christ.
- We celebrate the God-given unity in diversity among those devoted to the true gospel of Christ. We are therefore committed to fellowship with all those who love and obey the Lord Jesus Christ, and to building authentic partnerships with all congregations who cherish and proclaim the transforming and liberating gospel of Christ.
- We recognise God’s creation of humankind as male and female and the unchangeable standard of marriage, as between one man and one woman, being the proper place for sexual intimacy and the basis of the family. We unashamedly call for commitment to lifelong fidelity in marriage and abstinence for those who are not married.
- Expanding gospel ministry in the West of Scotland
- Encouraging Bible believing churches to contend for Biblical Christianity
- Promoting partnership between gospel churches